If you’re looking for a quick breakfast treat on the go, how about these lovely Blueberry Orange Muffins. Easy to make, soft and moist for days, you can even make these muffins ahead of time. Why not freeze a batch for later?
Love a good muffin? Try these Buttermilk Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins or these Coffee Cake Muffins too.
I have a number of muffin recipes from chocolate muffins, to peanut butter muffins, even coffee muffins but these blueberry orange muffins are the ones with the brightest freshest flavour and I love them for it. They’re vibrant, soft, moist and have such an incredible flavour from orange and blueberries that burst in your mouth.
Ingredients in Blueberry and Orange Muffins
Along with all the obvious suspects like flour, eggs, sugar and milk there is a little brown sugar for moisture and richness and our star flavours from fresh blueberries and an orange.
Just like these Orange Donuts with Pomegranate Icing the ingredients and process are so simple.
How to make Muffins
I like a simple approach when it comes to muffins. Two bowls – dry ingredients in one and wet ingredients in the other, then mix them together. This is why homemade muffins are so easy to make, and orange and blueberries are a match made in heaven.
First mix together your dry ingredients in one bowl so everything is well dispersed. Now do the same with the wet ingredients in a second bowl. Now combine them into one bowl and mix them until just combined.
The fresh blueberries are the last ingredient to be added. The thickness of this batter is what keeps the blueberries from sinking to the bottom. That means you have blueberries in every bite.
Now portion the batter between 12 holes of a muffin tray. I used these silicone muffin trays and a medium ice cream scoop to get the job done.
The easy orange icing
I love this orange icing. Just 3 ingredients and a zesty flavour that can’t be beat, it’s the perfect sweet way to top these muffins. Feel free to leave it off though and, instead, break one open and spread a little butter on. Yum.
These muffins would be extra special topped with these candied orange slices too.
Baking with blueberries
Just look at those juicy, plump blueberries. Some will burst, most will stay perfect and plump and I just love the contrast against the pale muffin colour. Every bite of these Blueberry Orange Muffins will have a burst of blueberry and that zing of orange.
If you love blueberries, be sure to try these No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Parfaits,, this Blueberry Lemon Yoghurt Cake and this gorgeous Blueberry Cake. I clearly can’t get enough.
Can I use frozen blueberries
Yes, you can just don’t thaw them out or you’ll have a mess on your hands. You can read more in my post all about baking with frozen fruit but rule number one is to keep them frozen right up until adding them into the batter.
When something so delicious can be made and served in 30 minutes you know you’re onto a winner.
Other recipes you’ll love
Blueberry Orange Muffins
FOR THE BLUEBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
- 2 ¼ cups plain (all purp) flour (295g / 10.4oz)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100 g white granulated sugar (1/2 cup / 3.5oz)
- 50 g brown sugar (1/4 cup packed / 1.8oz)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk (125ml)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (125ml)
- Zest of 1 large orange
- ¼ cup orange juice (60ml)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (notes)
FOR THE ORANGE ICING
- ¾ cup icing (powdered) sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons orange juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
For best results, always weigh ingredients where a weight is provided
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin or silicone muffin tray well and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, both sugars and salt. until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, zest and juice.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients with a spatula, being careful not to over mix, then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin holes (a medium ice cream scoop makes this easier).
- Bake for around 20-22 minutes, turning the tray halfway through, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
FOR THE ICING
- Mix the icing ingredients together in a small bowl and drizzle over the muffins
- You can also use frozen blueberries, however, don't thaw them. Straight from the freezer into the batter.
- For best results, you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.
11 Comments on “Blueberry Orange Muffins”
Delicious! The muffins turned out moist and flavorful. I love the glaze on top.
So happy you love them, Dena. Thanks for making my recipe 🙂
Hello! How to make the icing?
Hi there, just mix the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and drizzle it over the cooled muffins.
Thank you! We Loved the muffins 💜
Great to hear, thank you so much
Would you freeze them without the icing on?
Hello Wendy, you can freeze them with the icing 😀
These muffins look so soft, they would be great with morning coffee. That bright orange flavor will wake you up too 🙂
They really are a great morning pick me up with a coffee