This easy lemon curd recipe is a favourite rich, sweet and tangy homemade lemon curd and you can get all the tips for how to make lemon curd right here.
Lemon is by far one of my favourite sweet flavours. Growing up, we had Lemon Meringue Pie regularly and I always loved those lemon sherbet hard lollies and still do.
Today also happens to be Sugar Salt Magic’s 3rd birthday.
Woohoo! Happy Birthday, Sugar Salt Magic.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What better way to celebrate than with all of my favourites in one, right? I went ahead and made a Lemon Meringue Cake (that’s right cake, not pie). That one will be revealed tomorrow but I thought it was important to drop in today with a quick tutorial on how to make easy lemon curd , from scratch in around 10 minutes.
How to make lemon curd
The part I love about making lemon curd (aside from the absolute deliciousness I’m about to have at the ready for every possible need) is that fact that it takes less than 15 minutes to make. Seriously!
Simply start by whisking together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
The next step is to add the butter, a couple of cubes at a time and stir continuously until each has melted before adding more. Do this while still on the heat – my stove top is very dark so these photos are taken on my kitchen bench top where it is brighter.
Once all the butter is added and melted, cook for another 5-7 minutes until it thickens to the point of coating the back of the spoon or if you tip your saucepan to the side, then tip it back again, you will be left with a thick coating on the side of the pan.
How to store this Easy Lemon Curd
I use small weck jars to store my lemon curd. Lemon curd will keep for 3 months, in the fridge, unopened. Once opened, use within 7-10 days.
Pretty simple huh? You must give this Easy Lemon Curd Recipe a try and keep an eye out tomorrow for my Lemon Meringue Cake tomorrow.
Easy Lemon Curd Recipe
MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 200 g (1 cup / 7oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 150 g unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- Beat together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, zest and juice. Pour into a small saucepan and stir over low-medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cold butter a couple of pieces at a time, stirring until each addition is melted and incorporated.
- Continue cooking the mixture for 4-5 minutes until it is thickened and coats the back of a spoon or leaves a thick coating on the side of the pan when you tilt it.
- Pour into sterilised conserve jars and store in the fridge.
- This recipe makes approximately 1 1/2 cups of curd.
- This curd will keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge, unopened. Once opened use within a week. It will also freeze well.
- To sterilise the jars, boil them in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes then set aside to drain, dry and cool. The second way is to wash the jars well with soapy water, rinse and then place them in an oven at 120C / 250F for 10 minutes. Let them cool.
- You can swap the butter for a vegetable based spread if you would like to make this curd dairy free.
- TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.