Did you see the delicious homemade lemon curd I posted last week? Well that lemon curd has been used for a number of treats now. First in my Lemon Meringue Cake to celebrate Sugar Salt Magics 3rd birthday and now this Lemon Crumble Slice.
WHY I LOVE THIS LEMON CRUMBLE SLICE
This baked treat is a shortbread cookie base, topped with lemon curd and then a crumble topping.
Very easy. Both the cookie doughs for the top and the crumble are very simple. Lemon curd is very quick to make but you can certainly use a good quality shop bought lemon curd to make it even quicker.
Yes, this Lemon Crumble Slice can be made up to a few days ahead.
Keep in an airtight container, in the fridge for 4-5 days.
These are great served just as they are and are a brilliant portable treat for a picnic.
This Lemon Crumble Slice is actually a remake of an older version I had posted many moons ago. I’ve not only changed up the recipe a little and made it even more delicious but also taken some new photos and some step by step photos to make it even easier.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON SLICE
It really is easy to make. The first step is to make that thick, crunchy shortbread base – just a matter of creaming butter and sugar together then adding everything else. You’ll press this dough out into the bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking tin like this one and then par-bake it.
Once it has baked for a short time, just let it cool for 10 minutes before spreading over the lemon curd. You can make my version which takes less than 15 minutes or just buy a really good quality lemon curd from the grocery shop.
The crumble topping is a slightly different dough that you can use your fingers or a pastry cutter like the one above to cut the butter into the dry ingredients.
Then use a fork to mix through an egg yolk and a little lemon zest. Scatter the crumble topping over the lemon curd and bake a little longer.
The bit I love the most about this treat is, ok it tastes amazing but on top of that, I love those little jammy bits around the edges where the lemon curd caramelises a little and gets a little chewy texture to it, while the middle remains gloriously soft.
This Lemon Crumble Slice would be just perfect picnic food. It’s portable, bright and tangy and looks like sunshine in a cookie bar. Happy baking 🙂
More lemony treats
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
- Fluffy Lemon Cupcakes
- Creamy Lemon Coconut Slice
- Lemon Blueberry Frangipane Shortbread Bars
- Lemon Curd Mousse
- Easy Lemon Fudge
Lemon Crumble Slice
- 170 g / 3/4 cup / 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 75 g / 2.7oz caster (superfine) sugar
- 195 g / 1 1/2 cups / 6.9oz plain (all purp) flour
- 60 g / 2.1 oz rice flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- 97 g / 3/4 cup / 3.4oz plain (all purp) flour
- 1/3 cup / 35g / 1.2oz almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup / 50g / 1.7 light brown sugar
- 85 g / 3/4 stick / 3oz unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the shortbread base
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- Sift together the flours and set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Gradually add the flours while continuing to beat on low until it comes together.
- Use your hands to press the shortbread mixture into an even layer over the base of the baking tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes, then spread the lemon curd over in an even layer
For the crumble topping
- Mix together the flour, almond meal and sugar, then add the butter. Use a pastry cutter, a knife or just you fingertips to gently work the butter into the dry ingredients. If you’re using your fingers, be careful not to melt the butter. It should look like very lumpy wet sand at the end.
- Add the egg yolk and lemon zest and use a fork or the same method for the last step to mix it all through the dough. Now you should have a wet dough but make sure to still leave it clumpy rather than turning it into one big smooth ball.
- Break the dough up and scatter all over the top of the lemon curd.
- Return the tin to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.