These Waffle Brownies are a fun take on waffles that you can even eat for dessert. Dangerously delicious and dangerously quick, these super chocolate waffles are ready in just 10 minutes.
I’m only half joking when I say these Waffle Brownies might just become an addiction. Being so quick to make (seriously just 10 minutes) and so incredibly scrumptious, this dessert or super-special breakfast will become a weekend favourite.
I’ve had a waffle maker for donkeys years and, when I first bought it, I went through this phase of making waffles out of everything. Some were good, some were not.
My life officially changed when I decided to use brownie batter. These waffle iron brownies were born and my indifference to the waffle iron was cured. I adapted my favourite brownie batter recipe to make these.
How to make Waffle brownies
One bowl, less than 5 minutes and a few staple ingredients go into this waffle brownie batter.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a bowl in the microwave.
- Add wet ingredients, aka eggs and milk along with sugar and give it a quick whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients, aka flour, cocoa and a little salt (these are best sifted in) and mix them through
Yes, the brownie batter is made from scratch. You could go and get a store-bought brownie mix if you really want to but don’t. Honestly, you will have this batter made quicker than it takes you to even get the shop and it’s all made in one bowl!
When you open the waffle maker, the waffles will be a little delicate so take a minute to gently lift the edges before lifting them out so they don’t break.
As they cool, the waffle brownies will crisp up so it’s important not to overcook them or they’ll become downright crunchy.
What do I need to make waffles?
You will, of course, need one piece of specialty equipment for this and that’s a waffle iron. I use a Belgian style waffle iron which makes very deep waffles, otherwise known as deep crevices for all the toppings to sink into.
Make sure only to fill the waffle iron to the point where the iron squares just disappear beneath the brownie batter. If you add too much, it will overflow and sneak out the sides. I can fill my 4x waffle iron 1 ½ times.
Waffle Topping ideas
Need some ideas for topping your waffles?
In case, you missed all of the above, all you need to know is this – Waffle Brownies take mere minutes to make, taste amazing and fill your home with a heavenly chocolate scent that could become an addiction in itself.
More recipes you’ll love
- 85 g 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 50 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 98 g 3/4 cup plain (all-purp) flour
- 45 g 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your waffle iron on the medium setting.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high in 20 second increments, stirring well between each, until just melted.
- Add both sugars, eggs and milk and whisk together until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa and salt and mix until just combined.
- Spray the waffle iron with oil spray, then pour the batter in until it just hides the waffle iron squares (see notes)
- Close the waffle iron and cook for 6 minutes before gently prying away from the sides and serving.
- This recipe makes 6 thick belgian style waffles. If your waffle maker has 4 sections like mine, only pour 2/3 of the batter in for the first cook. Once those waffles are cooked, pour in the remaining batter to make 2 more.
- When you pour the batter into your waffle maker, it should only just cover all the waffle iron squares until you're just unable to see them anymore. If you use more than that it could overflow.
- For best results, you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.