I may love being in the kitchen but I also love an easy recipe as much as the next person. A simple and quick Homemade Strawberry Topping is all you need to elevate any dessert (or even breakfast).
The strawberries at my local were starting to look fat and plump and after picking up a punnet of the juicy, red berries, I was inspired to make this strawberry topping.
This recipe will work for most berries and even cherries like the topping on this Easy Baked Cherry Cheesecake though.
Hmmm so, strawberry topping vs strawberry compote?
The only difference between strawberry topping and strawberry compote is the name. Each one will have very slight variations but essentially they are just strawberries stewed with a little fruit juice and sometimes sugar until thick and syrupy.
How to make it
This recipe uses fresh or frozen strawberries. If using fresh, make sure they’re nice and ripe but either way this is super simple to make.
Just place all the ingredients into a saucepan (a heavy based saucepan is best to keep the heat distributed better), and let it heat and simmer for around 15 minutes and you have strawberry topping.
Uses for strawberry topping
This homemade strawberry topping is perfect over cheesecake, ice cream, pancakes, waffles – you name it – see some ideas below:
- Over pancakes or waffles
- Spread on toast
- Over pound cake or tarts
- As a filling for hand pies
- Over cheesecake (Black Forest Cheesecake)
- Baked into cheesecake (Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake)
- Stuffing for a surprise cupcake centre (Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes)
- Baked into bars (Strawberry Cheesecake Bars)
- Over panna cotta (Vanilla Panna Cotta)
You can swap the strawberries for mixed berries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries – the list goes on. Just note that some berries will break down more than others leaving you with a less chunky sauce.
Best picks if you like a chunky sauce would be strawberries, blueberries and cherries.
So do you have some delicious berries and 15 minutes? If you do, you could have a batch of Homemade Strawberry Topping ready to top anything at a moments notice.
Other recipes you might like
- Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- Blueberry Topping
- Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
- Raspberry Compote
- Fresh Cherry Sauce (Cherry Compote)
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes and my All About Chocolate ebook!
Homemade Strawberry Topping
- 3 cups hulled & quartered strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (notes 1)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup sugar
Makes 1.5 cups
- Place all ingredients in a heavy based saucepan over low heat. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, for around 15 minutes until the strawberries are soft and the juice has thickened slightly.
- Allow to cool, then place in an airtight sterilised jar, in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (equals 4 teaspoons worldwide)
- Homemade Strawberry Topping will keep in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.