Bright and fresh and simple to make Quick Pink Pickled Onions.
I wanted to share a quick little recipe with you today. Even though it’s a recipe in it’s own right, this will feature in another recipe that I post tomorrow.
So, me and hubby both love pickles and chutneys and relishes. We always have a few on the go in the fridge and they’re something I really want to learn to make.
These Quick Pink Pickled Onions take 2 minutes to put together, and are a wonderful accompaniment to burgers, tacos, sandwiches, hotdogs – the list goes on. They are also perfect with the Braised BBQ Beef Short Rib Tacos I’ll be sharing with you tomorrow. It’s the perfect sweet and sour flavour combo and slight crunch to cut through bold flavours.
There’s only a handful of ingredients. As long as you have a red onion, apple cider vinegar, wholegrain mustard (optional), salt and sugar you can make this pickle. You would normally add some water too when making pickled onions but because we’re doing this quickly, in time for dinner, I haven’t. The longer they sit, the pinker they get but if you want more vibrant colour, just add a little beetroot brine too (you know, the juice that you get from a tin of beetroot).
Anyway give it a go and I’ll see you back here tomorrow with Braised BBQ Beef Short Rib Tacos (and Quick Pink Pickled Onions on the side).
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar - (note 1)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon wholegrain mustard - (optional)
- 1 tablespoon beetroot brine - (optional) (note 1)
- Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, beetroot brine and mustard to a jar, screw on the lid and shake well. Add the onion and give it a good mix. Leave for about an hour before using.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon