Nutty Caramel Cups are chewy cookie cups filled with caramel coated macadamia pieces
Well, after a short hiatus and a brilliant trip to Melbourne I’m back and I’ve got a new recipe for you 🙂
For Christmas gifts, I made a bunch of slices in round tins and cut them all up into wedges so that each person got 8 different types of slice in their Christmas tin. They turned out pretty good and went down a treat.
By far, the favourite was my Caramel Macadamia Slice. Sadly, in the rush to get the gifts out to everyone, I didn’t get any photos of the slices but this is actually a good thing because now I have to make them all over again 🙂
I remade it in the form of these Nutty Caramel Cups instead. This is a quick and fun little recipe for you based on the same delicious Caramel Macadamia Slice which I turned into cookied cups. Ok, so these have the same yummy, sweet, caramelly nutty topping and then piled it into some cookie cups. By the way, “caramelly” is definitely a word even though the program puts a little red line under it, but you can’t see that so it’s all good. I know it’s a real word ‘cause I use it all the time – that makes it real.
Ahem, where was I? Oh, yes nutty caramel cups. The cookie cups are a familiar recipe. When I made the Giant Wagon Wheel, I made a double batch of the cookie dough for the express purpose of testing out some cookie cup recipes. You’re welcome 🙂 I realised this cookie dough is super versatile and there are so many wonderful cookie cup ideas coming your way int he future. You’re doubly welcome, haha.
Ok. So you make the cookie dough, roll it out, then cut it into circles. Push the circles of dough into muffin tin holes, fill with the caramel macadamia filling and bake. And, if you make a double batch of the cookie dough, you can happily freeze this for next time but these are so quick to make anyway that there is no need.
I mean, really they are as good as they look so, go forth and bake 🙂
- For the cookie cups
- 115 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 295 g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour (all purpose)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups macadamias (or nuts of your choice), roughly choppped
- 90 g butter
- ¾ cup (150g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (179g) golden syrup
- 3 tablespoon Self Raising flour - sifted (see notes)
- A little white chocolate - optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C Fan Forced
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. This will take a few minutes, so while that’s happening, in a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder until it is all well dispersed. Add the egg and vanilla to the butter / sugar mix and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour mix to the wet mix and beat until just combined. It will start to come together into a dryish, crumbly dough. This is good.
- Use your hands to pull all the dough together, then on a well floured surface, roll out to about 6mm thick. Use a cookie cutter ring to cut out 12 rounds. The dough will be crumbly and may break but simply push it back together. Push the rounds into the holes of a 12 hole muffin tin. Place the muffin tin in the fridge to cool while you make the filling.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan. Add the sugar, golden syrup and flour, stirring for a couple of minutes, until the sugar dissolves and the mix is smooth. Add in the chopped macadamias and mix thoroughly to coat.
- Fill each cookie dough cup with the filling, then place in the oven until the edges start to turn golden – around 10 minutes. Take the tray out of the oven and allow the cookie cups to cool slightly in the tin until you are able to handle them, before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt a little white chocolate and drizzle over the tops and allow to set in the fridge.
The post for Nutty Caramel Cups appeared first on Sugar Salt Magic
If you like this, you may like these.