Milo and Fantale Marshmallow Cereal treats. Super easy to make and even easier to eat. Yum, yum, yum.
This is a great treat to throw together with the kids. You know the good old chocolate crackles? Well these are waaaaaay better. It’s time to expand our horizons. These cereal treats use Milo cereal and fantales, you know to go with the Aussie theme of this Australia Day week and because, well, why not?
Cereal treats are like a portable breakfast or treat. Ok, ok. So, I’m not saying they’re a healthy option for breakfast (hence the “or treat” bit) but they taste so good that one in a while is surely good for you in some way, right? They’re a great idea for kids parties. You basically take a crunchy cereal and mix it with melted marshmallows to hold it all together and they stay crunchy. I found these best on the day but they will last 2-3 easily. Probably more, but nothing lasts around my house long enough to test that theory.
And so much better than chocolate crackles too. Why? Well for a start they don’t use copha which I don’t like the flavour of and to be honest, for some reason, it scares me. I mean, it’s a massive block of fat that somehow looks unnatural to me. Ok, so butter is a massive block of fat too and I quite happily use that in everything. Well this is making my brain hurt so I think I’ll move on.
Growing up I used to eat milo off the top of a glass of milk regularly. I wasn’t silly about it though, I would always make sure the milk ratio was larger than the Milo ratio ….. just. Haha. My poor parents must have spent a fortune on Milo.
I’d never tried Milo cereal before this recipe but it’s the exact same malty, chocolatey flavour, just in little crispy chips. I threw in the Fantales because I wanted this to be ultra-Aussie and hey, give me an excuse to throw caramel in just about anything and I’ll do it.
Anyway, round up the kiddies and grab yourself some ingredients and get cooking. They’ll love you forever 🙂
This week last year
Milo Fantale Cereal Treats
- 90 g butter
- 4 cups milo cereal
- 4 cups (packed) vanilla marshmallows
- 1/2 cup milo drink powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pack fantales, chopped very small
- Grease a small slice tray (approx 22cm x 25cm).
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until they are completely melted (don't rush it, keep the heat on low).
- Add the milo powder, vanilla and 1/2 of the chopped fantales and stir until the powder is fully incorporated (it's ok if the fantales haven't totally melted.
- Turn the heat off. Now, working quickly, add the milo cereal and the rest of the fantales. Give it a thorough stir to make sure everything is coated and well distributed, then pour straight into your tray.
- With slightly damp hands, press down firmly all over the mixture to level the mixture. Allow to set for 30 minutes. Turn out of the pan and chop into squares.