Sweet, chewy, firm and soft all at once Raspberry Almond Shortbread Bars are your new go to easy bake bar. An easy shortbread recipe, some good quality jam and flaked almonds are all you need.
An easy shortbread base, a layer of sweet and tangy raspberry jam in the middle, all topped off with a layer of crisp yet chewy, flaked almonds. Yes, my friends, this is goodness right here.
Bars and slices are one of my favourite things to make. They generally have a few wonderful layers of both flavours and textures and they’re easy. Really easy.
I often start with a cookie like base, and even more often it’s of the shortbread variety. Some of my favourites are these Cinnamon Caramel Crumble Bars and my Caramel Apple Bars, both of which use an easy shortbread recipe for the base. This one is slightly different, with the addition of almond meal (ground almonds).
How to make shortbread
To get a simple almond shortbread base like this, that goes all golden on the bottom and is full of buttery flavour, you just need a handful of ingredients
- almond meal / ground almonds
The butter and sugar get beaten together until glorious and creamy. Yum! Then you add the rest of the ingredients and mix until it comes together. Simple right? This almond shortbread mixture gets pressed into the base of a baking tin. Mine is about 7″x 9″ but you can definitely use an 8″ x 8″ baking tin like this one too.
The amazing thing at this point is that you’re almost done. Next you spread a little raspberry jam – a good quality one, pretty please. That’s because these simple Raspberry Almond Shortbread Bars are so simple, you can’t hide a ridiculously sweet jam that isn’t filled with real fruit. St Dalfour is my fave.
That almond topping
That golden almond topping that is crisp in spots and chewy in others is made simple by scattering the top of the bars with almonds, sugar and butter. No mixing required.
Now the only decision left is how many pieces to cut them into. Respectable 16, sensible 12 or totally delectable 8, maybe?
Have you tried this recipe?
Rate or comment below
- 226 g / 2 sticks / 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 265 g / 1+1/3 cups caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 295 g / 2+1/4 cups plain (all purp) flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup good quality raspberry jam
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra - (notes)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, extra - (notes)
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and add the almond meal and salt.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Gradually add the flour mixture while continuing to beat on low until it comes together.
- Use your hands to press the shortbread mixture into an even layer over the base of the baking tin.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the base.
- Scatter over the almonds, then evenly sprinkle the extra sugar over the top.
- Finally, dot the extra butter all over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.