I always have a batch of this parmesan bread ready to go in my freezer. It’s my copycat Sizzler Cheese Toast recipe and it’s lip-smackingly delicious.
While it makes a fantastic side to, well, anything, I also love it on it’s own for breakfast or dunked in this Easy Butternut Squash Soup.
The perfect quick, cheesy snack you can have ready to go and a great after school snack for the kids too.
What to do with leftover bread
This recipe is the perfect way to use up leftover bread too. We so often buy a really nice loaf but since there’s only 2 of us to eat it, much of it can get wasted. I get lured in by the smell of fresh bread and then two days later, there is still half a loaf in the pantry.
You could just slice it up and freeze it to use for toast or you could tun it into breadcrumbs, dry them out and use it for these chicken schnitzels or you could make this Sizzler Cheese Toast.
How to make Sizzler Cheese Toast
This parmesan topped bread is so simple to make and only requires 3 ingredients – count ’em.
- White bread (stale is fine)
- Melted butter
- Parmesan cheese
Don’t be tempted to use that powdered, shelf-stable parmesan. The real deal tastes (and smells) so much better and a little goes a very long way.
To make the toast is simple:
- Slice up your bread into 1.5cm (roughly 1/2 inch) slices
- Brush just one side of each slice with melted butter
- Sprinkle finely grated parmesan cheese over the top of the butter
- Toast and devour
How to toast the parmesan bread
There are a number of methods to cook the toasts.
- Sandwich press: My go-to is a flat sandwich grill press for simplicity. I have one that I can set how low it drops and lock it in place so that it doesn’t flatten the brad but gets the top all nice and golden
- Frying pan: the second best option IMO. Press the parmesan cheese down onto the slices really well. Heat a non-stick frying pan (or a pan sprayed with oil) over medium heat and place slices parmesan side down. Check regularly – if browning too quickly, just turn the heat down. Flip the slices and toast the other side if you like for 30 seconds.
- Under a grill / boiler: This one can be tricky as they may burn if you don’t keep an eye on them. Heat the overhead grill / boiler to high then place the toasts on a tray under it until golden.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can but only uncooked. Once cooked you should eat them immediately.
To store them in the freezer, place a small piece of baking paper between each slice and place them in an airtight container or zip lock bag.
You can cook these cheesy toasts straight from frozen.
Now you never need to throw away stale bread again. Crunchy, cheesy and totally addictive, Sizzler Cheese Toasts are the absolute perfect way to use it up.
Other recipes you might like
- Herb and Cheddar Scones
- Focaccia Di Recco (cheese filled Genoese focaccia)
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Mini Grilled Cheese
- Bolognese Pull-Apart Sliders
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes and my All About Chocolate ebook!
Sizzler Cheese Toast
- 12 slices crusty bread, about 1.5cm thick (stale is fine)
- 75 g butter, melted (2.7oz)
- 40 g parmesan, finely grated (1.4oz)
- Use a pastry brush to brush the melted butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- Method 1 – Sandwich press: Place parmesan side up under a heated adjustable level sandwich press and cook until golden.
- Method 2 – Frying pan: Press the parmesan cheese down onto the slices really well. Heat a non-stick frying pan (or a pan sprayed with oil) over medium heat and place slices parmesan side down. Check regularly – if browning too quickly, just turn the heat down. Flip the slices and toast the other side if you like for 30 seconds.
- Method 3 – Overhead grill / broiler: Using this method, keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. Heat the overhead grill / broiler to high then place the toasts on a tray under it, parmesan side up, until golden.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.