Gingerbread Almond Snowball Cookies are the cutest little round gingerbread cookies, filled with almonds, baked and rolled in powdered sugar.
I’m really getting into this cookie baking thing at the moment and my latest addition are these adorable Gingerbread Almond Snowball Cookies.
There are many names for snowball cookies including Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cakes but they are generally a small shortbread style cookie, filled with pecans and covered in icing (powdered) sugar. I’ve totally amped up the Christmas factor here, not that you couldn’t make them any time you happen to feel like a snowball cookie but, you know, gingerbread.
The thing I love about snowball cookies is the mystery. You know, like Clinkers? You know clinkers right? I loooooove me some clinkers. Green, yellow or pink – who knows….
Sorry, you might have lost me for a minute there but I’m back. What I’m saying is, with so many different snowball cookie variations out there, you wouldn’t know you had Gingerbread Almond Snowball Cookies in your hot little hands until you took a bite.
I made some Choc Mint Snowball Cookies too but these were definitely my faves so I felt I needed to share them with you stat! Also, an interesting side note is that I decided to share these with you before even sharing my fave gingerbread cookie recipe. They’re that good. No waiting, just get them out there for the world must know and add them to their holiday cookie platters.
Having said that, these do start out as my favourite gingerbread cookie recipe so, if you want that, just leave out the almonds, roll out the dough, cut out shapes and bake).
Or for these cute little morsels, instead of doing all that aforementioned standard gingerbread cookie stuff, instead add some chopped almonds, roll them into balls, bake and then roll in icing sugar. Done!
What cookies are you baking?
So are you baking some holiday cookies and if so what sort? I’d love to hear all about them in the comments below but if you haven’t decided yet
- Better decide quick because Christmas is only 11 days away and
- Keep an eye out tomorrow for my roundup of all the Sugar Salt Magic cookies – Every. Single. One. Whoop, whoop.
Have you tried this recipe?
Rate or comment below
- 195 g (1 1/2 cups) plain (all purp) flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 60 g (1/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup treacle (or molasses)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (95g) roughly chopped almonds
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C fan / 320F. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift together, flour, spices and baking soda and set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the yolk and beat until fully incorporated. Add the treacle and beat well again.
- Add half of the flour mix and beat on very low until it just starts to clump. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined and clumping. Finally, add the almonds and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (only about 30 seconds).
- Roll about 2 teaspoons of dough into balls and sit them 2 inches apart on the baking trays.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, add the cookies to a plastic bag with the icing sugar and gently toss to coat. Transfer to a plate and serve.