Crisp easy flatbread, topped with turkey and basil pesto is a great way to use up leftover turkey (or any other roast meat for that matter).
Like the most amazing pesto pizza
A handful of simple ingredients
LIKE THIS POST? CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE
In addition to new posts you’ll receive monthly newsletters, and a free ebook. Plus any other freebies I come up with along the way.
Easy Flatbread with Turkey and Basil Pesto. Simple to make and great for using up leftover roast meat
- 1 teaspoon dry instant yeast
- 175 ml warm water
- 250 g (2 scant cups) bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (notes)
- Polenta or extra flour for dusting baking trays
- Olive oil, extra for brushing bases
- 2/3 cups fresh basil pesto (link in recipe or notes)
- 1 cup shredded roasted turkey
- 1/3 cup green capsicum (bell pepper) strips
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 7 bocconcini balls, sliced (or grated mozzarella)
- Salt and pepper
Stir together the warm water and yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar and salt and stir well. Add the yeast and water mix, then the oil. Use the dough hook, knead for 5-7 minutes or until you have a smooth, elastic dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and give it a gentle knead into a smooth ball of dough. Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1⁄2 to 1 hour until doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 230C / 450F / 210C fan forced.
Once it has risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 pieces. Roll the other 2 pieces into balls then sit under a tea towel for another 15 minutes.
Roll the pieces of dough out to about 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 of a centimetre thick, oblong shape.
Dust 3 baking trays with polenta then transfer your rolled out flatbreads to the trays.
Make dimples in the flatbreads with your fingertips, then brush with extra olive oil.
Use a spoon to spread the pesto evenly over each flatbread, reserving 1-2 tablespoons
Top alternately with onion, capsicum, turkey and cheese.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 12 -15 minutes until crispy and golden round the edges.
Drizzle remaining pesto here and there, then slice to serve.
- I use an Australian standard 20ml tablespoon
- Use the link for my own basil pesto recipe, or use store bought if you prefer