Crisp easy flatbread, topped with turkey and basil pesto is a great way to use up leftover turkey (or any other roast meat for that matter).
Like the most amazing pesto pizza
A handful of simple ingredients
LIKE THIS POST? CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE
In addition to new posts you’ll receive monthly newsletters, and a free ebook. Plus any other freebies I come up with along the way.
Easy Flatbread with Turkey and Basil Pesto
Easy Flatbread with Turkey and Basil Pesto. Simple to make and great for using up leftover roast meat
- 1 teaspoon dry instant yeast
- 175 ml warm water
- 250 g (2 scant cups) bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (notes)
- Polenta or extra flour for dusting baking trays
- Olive oil, extra for brushing bases
- 2/3 cups fresh basil pesto (link in recipe or notes)
- 1 cup shredded roasted turkey
- 1/3 cup green capsicum (bell pepper) strips
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 7 bocconcini balls, sliced (or grated mozzarella)
- Salt and pepper
Stir together the warm water and yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar and salt and stir well. Add the yeast and water mix, then the oil. Use the dough hook, knead for 5-7 minutes or until you have a smooth, elastic dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and give it a gentle knead into a smooth ball of dough. Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1⁄2 to 1 hour until doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 230C / 450F / 210C fan forced.
Once it has risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 pieces. Roll the other 2 pieces into balls then sit under a tea towel for another 15 minutes.
Roll the pieces of dough out to about 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 of a centimetre thick, oblong shape.
Dust 3 baking trays with polenta then transfer your rolled out flatbreads to the trays.
Make dimples in the flatbreads with your fingertips, then brush with extra olive oil.
Use a spoon to spread the pesto evenly over each flatbread, reserving 1-2 tablespoons
Top alternately with onion, capsicum, turkey and cheese.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 12 -15 minutes until crispy and golden round the edges.
Drizzle remaining pesto here and there, then slice to serve.
- I use an Australian standard 20ml tablespoon
- Use the link for my own basil pesto recipe, or use store bought if you prefer