Friday night has to be my favourite night of the week. It’s that lead up and anticipation to the weekend that I love. It’s knowing that this very night is the beginning to 2 days of what I want to do. No work. No grumpy clientele to deal with. Just breakfast and the newspaper and my fiancé and my pets and my camera and food and all the things I love.
Plus there are no calories on Friday nights. That’s what Monday breakfast to Friday lunch time is about. No. Friday night is the best part of the weekend so no fun-police here. And if we aren’t going out, Friday night calls for just one thing …
Homemade pizza. This one is hubbys favourite Barbecue Meat Lovers Pizza.
I love making pizza from scratch rather than ordering take away. It’s way easier than you think – especially using my Easy Homemade Pizza Dough recipe. Plus, you know what goes into it and can add just what you like.
A homemade pizza can be as gourmet (or not) as you want. The pizza dough can be as thick or thin as you want. One batch of my pizza dough will make 2 very thin and crispy 12 inch pizzas or 2x 10 inch average thickness pizza. Or make them smaller and get thick soft pizza base. It’s your pizza, so it’s your call.
Once you’ve got the pizza base made, just add your favourite toppings. What are yours?
I used to be a Hawaiian Thin n Crispy kinda gal. But I’ve broadened my horizons. I like trying unique flavours now like my Tandoori Chicken Pizza that’s all kinds of yum or these Pesto Chicken Calzone. My go-to, and really because it’s my hubbys favourite, is now a BBQ Meat Lovers Pizza.
Ingredients for Barbecue Meatlovers Pizza
- Start with your favourite barbecue sauce
- Mozzarella cheese is mild and melts beautifully
- Meat of choice and a combo is best – we like chicken, ham or bacon, pepperoni and beef mince
- Onion and mushroom cover off the vegetable portion
The meat on this pizza can be added raw (including the chicken if you slice it super thin). It will all cook in the time required to get that pizza crust baked through.
So here it is. A simple flavour combo compared to all the gourmet versions out there these days but it’s a goodun 🙂 Promise me you’ll try this and I know you’ll love it.
Want some more pizza ideas?
BBQ Meat Lovers Pizza Recipe
Pizza Crust (Makes 2 x 10-12 inch bases)
- 260 g (2 cups / 9.1oz) bread flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Your favourite barbecue sauce
- 1/4 small onion finely sliced
- 2 button mushrooms finely sliced
- 50 g raw chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 50 g raw beef mince
- 1 bacon rasher, chopped
- 8 thin slices of pepperoni
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar
- Salt & Pepper
- handful of rocket (arugula), chopped
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attached, combine the dough ingredients in this order - flour, yeast, sugar - give a quick stir - then salt, olive oil, warm water.
- Mix on low-medium speed for 7-8 minutes until smooth and elastic. See notes for kneading by hand.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough inside, flipping until it's lightly oiled all over. Cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place until it has doubled in size - see notes.
- After it has risen, remove the plastic wrap and gently turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 2 pieces, shape each into a ball and cover with a dry tea towel. Allow them to sit for another 15 minutes to prove.
- Preheat oven to 230C / 450F / 210C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll and gently stretch each ball of dough out into a circle roughly 10 inches in diameter and 5mm thick. Transfer to a pizza tray.
- Spread a little barbecue sauce all over the base of the pizza. Sprinkle over half of the mixed cheeses, the onion next, then the button mushrooms. Now lay over the slices of chicken, followed by the beef mince, bacon and finally the pepperoni. Top the whole lot with the rest of the mixed cheeses. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes until the edges and cheese are golden. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the oven, throw a little fresh rocket over the top, cut into slices and devour.
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: dough scraper, pizza tray, stand mixer, pizza cutter.
- FOR BEST RESULTS: you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop)
- FLOUR: The bread flour can be swapped for plain / all purpose flour. Bread flour gives a slightly chewier texture to the baked pizza base.
- YEAST: If you have 7g / 1/4oz packets of yeast, use just 1/2 of one envelope.
- KNEADING BY HAND: You can knead the dough by hand but it is a little sticky. Please resist the urge to add flour. It will eventually firm up and stop sticking to your hands and bench top. It should take around 10 minutes to get smooth and elastic.
- RISING TIME: Normally half an hour will be enough for the dough to double in size (especially if you place it under a warm light or lamp) but it may take up to an hour or longer in winter. Just make sure it doubles in size.
- SLOW RISE: For a more intense flavour to the pizza dough, leave it to rise overnight in the fridge.
- FREEZING DOUGH: You can freeze pizza dough after the first rise. After turning it out onto a lightly floured surface, shape it into a ball, coat with a little oil all over and place in a zip lock bag. Place it straight in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- TO THAW: Place in the fridge overnight. Take it out of the fridge ½ an hour before you’re ready to make pizza.
- PIZZA RECIPES: The pizza shown in the picture is topped with tomato paste, leg ham, mozzarella, cherry tomato halves in that order, then seasoned with salt and pepper. You could also try Tandoori Chicken Pizza or Pesto Chicken Calzone.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.