Who doesn’t love caramel? Combined with cinnamon, a shortbread base and a crumble topping, these Cinnamon Caramel Crumble Bars are irresistible.
Crunchy shortbread base, a layer of easy caramel, then a crumb topping. All with a good dose of cinnamon equals YUM!
(Side note: is there any better food descriptor than just a simple YUM! by the way? Just a thought).
What is in a name?
Ok, I’ll start by saying, deciding what to call these things was tough. Every layer has something that I felt the need to mention. I finally settled Cinnamon Caramel Crumble Bars as that nearly includes everything. Except for that crunchy shortbread base.
I’m a big fan of anything with a crumb topping like this Chocolate Coffee Crumb Cake and my Cherry Crumble Cake. Crumb, crumble, streusel – whatever you want to call it, I just love that crunchy crumbly topping and I’m not alone.
I had the pleasure of cooking a dessert for my sister-in-laws birthday lunch and this deliciousness was the result. The crunchy base and that soft, sweet homemade caramel centre make wonderful company but then when you top them off with a crunchy, crumbly streusel topping and add some cinnamon. Ok, I’ll give you a moment…..
Back? Great, let’s get to this.
Talk about easy and a crowd pleaser all in one. I think what makes them so good is they have both texture and flavour. Crunchy top and bottom with a soft, rich centre.
So how do we make these Cinnamon Caramel Crumble Bars happen?
The base is made like a traditional cookie.
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- add the dry ingredients
- press into a pan and bake
The centre is just an easy caramel.
- A few minutes in a saucepan
- then pour it onto the shortbread base
- Crumble over some streusel topping, then bake again.
Now you have a fantastic, crunchy-and-soft bar that you can serve at room temp and watch it disappear before your eyes. I love that feeling ?
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
Rate it below or comment with any questions or thoughts.
GET NEW RECIPES DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL INBOX subscribe here.
In addition to new posts you’ll receive monthly newsletters, and a free ebook. Plus any other freebies I come up with along the way.
Cinnamon Caramel Crumble Bars
- 170 g (3/4 cup / 1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 75 g (2.7oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 195 g (1 1/2 cups / 6.9oz) plain (AP) flour
- 60 g (2.1oz) rice flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the caramel filling
- 1 tin (395g / 14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (or dark corn syrup)
- 50 g (1.8oz) unsalted butter
For the crumble topping
- 130 g (1 cup / 4.6oz) plain (AP) flour
- 1/3 cup (65g / 2.3oz) packed dark brown sugar
- 85 g (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the shortbread base
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- Sift together the flours and cinnamon and set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Gradually add the flour mixture while continuing to beat on low until it comes together.
- Use your hands to press the shortbread mixture into an even layer over the base of the baking tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
For the caramel
- Combine the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan over very low heat. Stir for around 6-7 minutes until the mixture is smooth and thickened slightly.
For the crumble topping
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and press together with your fingertips.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and carefully scatter the crumble mixture over the top.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (4 teaspooons worldwide)
- For best results you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).