This Easy Cherry Cake with Crumble Topping is a delightful afternoon tea cake topped with cherry jam and a crunchy streusel topping.
(Photos and copy updated 30th April 2018)
I didn’t discover cherries until I was about 30. For whatever reason, even though mum and dad would buy them every year at Christmas time, I didn’t want to know about them. I’d decided I didn’t like them and I don’t think I had actually ever tasted one. I wasn’t a huge fan of stone fruits so that was probably why. The sticky gooey stone that you get left with at the end would always gross me out. Haha.
Then, one day, I tasted a fresh cherry and I really liked it. Nowadays I’ll grab some every Christmas and I regularly use cherries in my cooking whether fresh, frozen or in jams. Check out these Cherry Ripe Brownie Bites, this Cherry and Coconut Chocolate Tart or my absolute favourite Easy Baked Cheesecake with Fresh Cherry Sauce.
I was dreaming up a really posh cherry ripe until, while flicking through one of my cookbooks at home, I came across a recipe for crumble cake. Light bulb moment! Cherry Cake with a crumbly, streusel-like topping. And here is my version. Delicate, moist afternoon tea cake, topped with black cherry jam, and a sweet, crunchy crumble topping. You could certainly use fresh cherries instead and if you’re game, you can make your own cherry jam from scratch using my homemade cherry jam from these Black Forest Brownies but you will need to scale it up by about 4 times.
This cherry cake is supremely easy to make. I actually made it one day after work ready for my mums birthday dinner that night. We drizzled it with custard and it was absolutely lovely. You could use just a dollop of cream to keep it a sensible afternoon tea cake or you could even add some ice cream.
GET NEW RECIPES DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL INBOX subscribe here.
In addition to new posts you’ll receive monthly newsletters, and a free ebook. Plus any other freebies I come up with along the way.
Easy Cherry Cake with Crumble Topping
For the Cherry Cake
- 130 g (1 cup / 4.6oz) plain (AP) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 113 g (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g (1/2 cup / 3.5oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon milk (notes)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1/2 cup black cherry jam (or any good quality jam)
For the Crumble topping
- 1/3 cup plain (AP) flour
- ½ cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar (notes)
- 57 g (1/2 stick / 1/4 cup) chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Cream, ice cream or custard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Grease and line an 8 or 9 inch spring form cake tin.
- For the crumble place all ingredients except for the egg yolk into a bowl and use your fingertips to rub it together until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add the yolk and mix through with a fork. Refrigerate until required.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until well combined. Add the flour, lemon zest and milk and mix until just combined. Make sure not to overmix.
- Tip the batter into your prepared baking tin then spread to the edges and level out the top a little.
- Dollop over the cherry jam, then scatter the crumble topping over the top of that.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lovely with a dollop of cream or icecream or, my favourite, served warm with some custard. Yum!
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (4 teaspoons worldwide)
- For best results, you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
WANT MORE CAKE RECIPES? CLICK HERE
OR MORE CHERRY RECIPES? CLICK HERE
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.