With just 4 ingredients, homemade chocolate milk is so easy to make and tastes so much better than shop-bought. This choc milk recipe is rich and also extremely customisable from the amount of sugar to the type of milk you use.
This creamy, indulgent homemade chocolate milk will be loved by children and adults alike and takes literally minutes to make.
Just like this Homemade Strawberry Milk, by making it from scratch you get to control what’s in it. No need to worry about preservatives or more sugar than you need.
Ingredients you’ll need
Chocolate milk ingredients are very few – only 4 in fact.
- Milk: Whole milk is what I use in the recipe and the flavour is rich and creamy. Go ahead and swap this for any milk you like though, from skim to dairy-free.
- Icing (powdered) sugar: This dissolves into the milk easily. You can adjust the quantity to the amount that works for you. You can also use powdered sugar alternatives.
- Cocoa: I like dutch processed cocoa best. It has a rich, smooth flavour and blends into the milk well but you can use regular unsweetened or even cacao powder.
- Vanilla: While this is technically optional, I really recommend using it. It actually makes the chocolate flavour even more chocolatey and balances the flavour out.
How to make it step by step
There are literally 2 steps to making chocolate milk from scratch. Three if you include drinking it.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender
- Blend it up
- Drink at will
Ways to enjoy it
If you haven’t yet realised the virtues of this super simple recipe, try one of these ideas.
- Warm it up and add a couple of marshmallows for a Winter hot cocoa
- Add a scoop or two of ice cream and blend a little longer to create a cooling Summer thickshake.
- Use it in my crème anglaise (vanilla sauce) recipe to create a chocolate version
Turn it into a gift
This recipe truly is the gift that keeps on giving. By leaving out the milk and using vanilla sugar in place of the vanilla extract, you can create a shelf stable homemade chocolate milk powder.
Gift it to friends and family in pretty jars for the holidays. You could even add a few marshmallows and gift it as a hot chocolate mix.
Just add 2-3 tablespoons (to taste) to a glass of milk and mix. It will mix best by blending or shaking it up, but you can also use a milk frother. It is not so easy to stir in though.
How to store it
- Made up milk: Store it in a bottle with a lid in the fridge for as long as the use by date on the milk carton.
- Powdered choc milk: Store in an airtight jar in the pantry for as long as the use by date on the cocoa.
Ok, so now you have a rich but simple, 4 ingredient recipe for chocolate milk that you can make at home and even give as a gift. What’s not to love?
More recipes you’ll love
- Blueberry Milk
- Homemade Strawberry Milk
- How to make Crème Anglaise
- Easy Dark Chocolate Fudge
- Eggless Easy Chocolate Mousse
Homemade Chocolate Milk
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons icing (powdered) sugar
- 2 tablespoons dutched or unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
For best results, always weigh ingredients where a weight is provided
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve Immediately or store in a sealed jar. Shake well before drinking.
- Milk: Use any type of milk you prefer from skim to non-dairy.
- Sugar: Sweeten to your taste. You can even use powdered sweeteners.
- Cocoa: Dutched cocoa gives the richest flavour but you can use regular unsweetened or cacao too.
- Vanilla: I recommend not leaving this out but you could also swap it for 1/2- 1 teaspoon of peppermint or coconut (to taste)
- Heat and add marshmallows to make a hot cocoa
- Add 2 scoops of ice cream to the blender and blend to a thickshake
- Double the sugar and cocoa. Replace the vanilla with 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar. Whisk well to combine and tip into nice jars to gift. I use these Weck preserving jars.
Shop this postSugar Salt Magic.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.