If you’ve ever had chocolate and pistachio together, you’ll know what great partners they make. I first combined the two in these Pistachio Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins that go down a treat and are also a really simple must make recipe. But pistachio has long been a favourite around these parts with my most popular post being this beautiful Pistachio Rose Panna Cotta Tart.
Crisp on the outside, soft in the middle
I actually made these just on a whim only a few weeks back. I had these gorgeous green pistachios and just thought what a wonderful contrast they would be in a dark chocolate cookie and they are. I couldn’t be happier with the results. The cookie dough is super simple to throw together and full of flavour.
These Chocolate Pistachio Cookies turn out crisp on the edges and just a little soft in the middle, but it’s that crunch of pistachios that makes them extra special. If that’s not enough, they are then topped with a drizzle of gorgeous dark chocolate before being sprinkled with pistachio crumbs.
Slice and Bake Cookies
That’s right, these Chocolate Pistachio Cookies are slice and bake cookies. If you’ve never been introduced to this amazing concept, here goes. Make up a batch of dough the roll it into a log shape. Wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer. You have cookies ready to bake at a moments notice and as they only take 10 minutes to bake, you can literally be serving these up to your very grateful guests in under 20 minutes. Yippee for slice and bake cookies.
Even though I made these cookies only recently, they remind me of Christmas with those bright green pistachio flecks and it’s got me all excited for the festive season so I just know I’ll be making another batch then. They’re perfect for gifting too!
Happy Baking xo
More chocolate cookies
- Giant Freckles Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Malted Cookies
- Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Almond Shortbread Cookies
Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- 260 g /2 cups / 9.2oz plain (AP) flour
- 65 g / 1/2 cup / 2.3oz cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup / 50g dutch processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate)
- 150 g / 3/4 cup / 5.3oz dark brown sugar
- 100 g / 1/2 cup / 3.5oz caster (superfine) sugar
- 190 g / 6.7oz unsalted butter, room temp (notes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk (notes)
- 150 g pistachios, roughly chopped roughly chopped
- Extra dark chocolate for drizzling
- Crushed pistachios
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F /160C fan forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, cornflour, cocoa and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and both sugars until lightened and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add half the flour mix. Beat until just combined. Add the milk and remainder of the flour and mix until it just starts to come together.
- Finally, add the pistachios and give the mixture another beat until mixed through and the dough is clumping
- Pull the dough together with your hands and then roll into a long log about 1 1/2 inches thick. Wrap in plastic wrap tightly and place in the fridge for 1/2 hour (or in the freezer for later).
- Cut the log into 36 pieces Bake for around 10 minutes, turning the trays halfway through.
- Allow them to cool on the trays for a few minutes before using a spatula to help to transfer them to a cooling rack. Once cool, they will firm up and be crispy on the outside and just slightly chewy in the very centre.
- Once cool, drizzle with extra melted chocolate and sprinkle with pistachio crumbs
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (4 teaspoons worldwide)
- For best results you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales like these are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.