Caramel Peanut Fudge is everything the name says and more. Based on the idea of a candy bar turned into fudge, it has 3 layers of delicious candy all in one little package. The flavour lands somewhere between my two favourite chocolate candy bars – Snickers and Picnic.
Fudge is decadent, there is no getting around it but, because of its richness, a little goes a long way. This one is super addictive though, so if you have a very sweet tooth, you’ll love this. You’ll also love this No-bake Caramel Peanut Butter Slice.
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge
It starts with a simple, 3 ingredient peanut butter fudge layer. White chocolate, sweetened condensed milk & peanut butter are mixed together in a saucepan over low heat then tip it straight into a lined 8×8 inch square baking tin.
Candy making can be temperamental, even when you think you’re using foolproof ingredients like chocolate and sweetened condensed milk. There are a number of things that can affect it and some you simply can’t change, like humidity.
It’s quite humid where I live and the problem I run into most when candy-making is the fat separating. You may notice this happen as you make the peanut butter fudge layer but all you need to do, is remove it from the heat and carefully stir it until it comes back together.
For a change, you can swap the peanut butter for nutella or biscoff spread as well – check out this biscoff fudge recipe.
How to make caramel with condensed milk
The middle layer is a super smooth and creamy caramel made with condensed milk that sets up nice and chewy. You can start on this straight after you finish the peanut fudge, and even use the same saucepan, just give it a bit of a rinse out first. Once you know how to make caramel with condensed milk, you’ll be dreaming up all kinds of things to do with it.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup to the saucepan over low heat. If you can’t get hold of golden syrup, you could use brown rice malt syrup or corn syrup – this just reduces the chance of it becoming grainy.
- Dissolve the sugar then let it come to a bubble. Make sure to keep stirring it so it doesn’t burn on the bottom and let it bubble for about 4-5 minutes until it thickens and darkens a little.
- Take it off the heat and add vanilla and salt then pour it over the top of the peanut butter fudge.
- Add some peanuts on top for a little crunch then let it set for at least 1 hour before making the milk chocolate ganache.
The Milk Chocolate Ganache
That topping is a super simple, 2 ingredient milk chocolate ganache. You could certainly top this fudge with melted milk chocolate, however, since it must keep in the fridge, the ganache is easier to cut through plus it balances out the sweetness a little.
When making ganache, it’s always best to heat the cream then pour it over finely chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes before stirring it to a smooth and glossy milk chocolate ganache.
I actually created this recipe in my first full year of blogging, and back then I also added vanilla wafers. It tastes just like a Picnic bar this way and the addition of wafer gives a satisfying crunch.
This easy fudge is best kept in the fridge in an airtight container where it will keep for 7-10 days.
Imagine a piece of chocolate covered, caramel and peanut fudge, while you’re sitting on the couch with a nice cup of coffee. Bite by little bite to make it last as long as possible because seriously, if people see this stuff sitting on your kitchen bench, it’ll be gone in no time.
More delicious fudge recipes
- Pecan Butterscotch Fudge (Penuche Fudge)
- Easy Lemon Fudge
- Butter Popcorn Easy Fudge
- Choc Chip Cookie Dough Fudge
- Milo Tim Tam Chocolate Fudge
- Biscoff Fudge
Caramel Peanut Fudge
PB FUDGE LAYER
- 360 g white chocolate, finely chopped (1 3/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk (395g / 14oz)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (57g / 1/2 stick)
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk (395g / 14oz)
- ½ cup light brown sugar (100g / 3.5oz)
- ¼ cup golden syrup (notes)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200 g milk chocolate, finely chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup thickened (heavy) cream
- ¼ cup unsalted peanuts
- 8x8 inch square baking tin
FOR THE PB FUDGE
- Line a square 8x8 inch baking pan with baking paper.
- Combine the white chocolate, peanut butter and condensed milk in a heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Melt together and cook, stirring continuously for about 4-5 minutes until well combined and smooth (notes)
- Pour into the prepared tin, making sure to scrape out the saucepan, and set aside.
FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER
- Rinse out the saucepan and place it back on the low heat with the butter, sweetened condensed milk, sugar and golden syrup. Stir, without boiling, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let the mixture come to a bubble and let it bubble away, while constantly moving it around the pan so that it doesn't burn on the bottom, for another 4-5 minutes. It will thicken a little and the colour will darken just slightly.
- Take the mixture off the heat and mix through the vanilla and salt.
- Pour it over the peanut butter layer and scatter the peanuts over the top.
- Chill in the fridge for 1/2 an hour before proceeding.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- Place the chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat, until it starts to bubble. Pour it over the chocolate and give the bowl a gentle shake to settle the chocolate under the cream. Leave for 3 minutes before stirring to a smooth, glossy ganache.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel and level out, then chill for 3-4 hours before cutting into squares.
- This fudge should be kept stored in the fridge.
- In place of golden syrup, you could use brown rice malt syrup or corn syrup. Honey would work but would change the flavour a little.
- If the PB fudge looks at any time like its splitting, just take it off the heat and stir well until it comes back together.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.