Perfect just as it is or take it up another level with some feta or crunchy bacon, this roasted sweet potato salad is going to become one of your favourites. Rubbed all over with spices, it’s filled with flavour and served with a cooling yoghurt dressing.
This chunky salad can be a meal in itself or try adding some grilled chicken or thinly cut grilled steak to top it off.
If you’re not a chickpea lover, this will turn you into one. Their creamy, nutty flavour is intensified when they roast and the spices are the perfect contrast to their mildness.
The roasted sweet potatoes are a wonderful companion to them too with it’s sweet flavour and soft texture. I love this salad because everything in it just ‘goes’. You know what I mean? They were meant to be together.
If you want a lovely green salad to serve with this, this Asparagus, Rocket and Parmesan Salad will do the trick.
Ingredients in roast sweet potato salad
Sweet potatoes, chickpeas and spices (paprika, cumin, garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper) are combined, roasted and tossed over baby spinach leaves. Skip the cayenne if you don’t want the heat and you can swap the spinach for rocket / arugula if you prefer.
While there isn’t enough cayenne to make this this salad super hot, it does have a little kick, which of course you can adjust to your liking. The dressing (a simple mix of yoghurt, mint and vinegar) also has a cooling and mellowing effect while adding a tart, creaminess to the dish. Drizzle it over or serve it on the side.
How to make it
This is sheet-pan meal territory because it’s as simple as mixing everything, roasting it on a sheet pan, then tossing it over some greens and it’s ready.
- First, wash and dry the sweet potatoes then cut them into rounds.
- Mix together the spices, then mix the potatoes with most of it (image 1) and the chickpeas with the rest, separately.
- Start roasting the sweet potatoes then add the chickpeas and roast them all together for the last 10 minutes (image 2).
- Mix together the dressing while that’s all happening. Finely chopped mint, Greek yoghurt and some vinegar all mixed up.
- Wash and dry some spinach leaves and make a bed of them in a nice serving bowl.
- Add the potatoes and chickpeas scattered all over the top and serve the yoghurt dressing on the side or drizzled over the top.
This mojo verde (spanish green sauce) also goes wonderfully with this salad. Skip the yoghurt dressing and drizzle this zesty sauce all over the top.
Tips and tricks
- You don’t need to peel the potatoes but you absolutely can if you prefer. If leaving the skins on, make sure to give them a good scrub.
- Cut the potatoes about 1.5cm / 0.6 inches thick and to about large bite size. You can certainly cut them smaller or thinner but you may need to adjust the cooking time to suit.
- You can roast the potatoes and chickpeas ahead of time then either serve cold with the spinach or warm them up first.
What to serve it with
Try serving this roast sweet potato salad with some simple sauteed chicken breast or some perfectly grilled steak.
If you try this spiced roast sweet potato salad recipe, please take a moment to leave a rating and comment below. I love hearing from you and it helps other readers too! You can also take a photo and tag @sugarsaltmagic on Instagram.
More recipes you’ll love
- Mustard Maple Roasted Carrots
- Rainbow Vegetable Tray Bake
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Simple Potato Salad
- Garlic Butter Potatoes with Crispy Prosciutto
- How to Make Crunchy Roast Potatoes
- Hasselback Butternut Squash
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes and my All About Chocolate ebook!
Spiced Roast Sweet Potato Salad
- 3 small-medium sweet potatoes (about 250g / 8.8oz each)
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil (note 1)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups baby spinach, washed and shaken well
- ¾ cup plain low fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 395F / 200C / 180C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper to minimise washing up.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, scrubbing the skins well. Cut into rounds about 1/2 inch (1.25cm) wide.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil salt, paprika, cumin, garlic powder pepper and cayenne. Stir to a paste.
- Set aside 1 heaped teaspoon of the paste, then add the potatoes to the large bowl. Mix well to coat.
- Lay the potato slices out on the baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes roast, add the chickpeas and remaining spice paste to the same bowl and give it a good mix to coat.
- After 20 minutes, add the chickpeas to the baking tray and roast for a further 15 minutes.
- Mix together the yoghurt, mint and vinegar and transfer to a small bowl to serve with the salad.
- Place the spinach in a serving bowl. Top with the roasted potatoes and chickpeas.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (equal to 4 teaspoons)
- You can peel the potatoes if you prefer.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.