This Smores Mug Cake recipe is a wonderful combination of chocolate cake, marshmallow, chocolate and cookie which takes 2 minutes to cook. No joke!
That’s what I had written on my recipe notebook under the recipe when I had finished this one.
Yes, this recipe evoked the teen in me who could only come up with acronyms to comment on the absolute, unrelenting gloriousness of this Smores Mug Cake. In between the mouthfuls of gooey, chocolately goodness there wasn’t much time. You know how it goes.
This dessert has it all and it’s everything a S’mores should be and more.
- Gooey, toasted marshmallow.
- Melty chocolate.
- Warm, tender chocolate cake.
- 5 minutes only
My microwave is generally reserved for defrosting, reheating, heating plates and as a massive kitchen timer. It works a treat for all those things, but I never use it to cook anything. Until now.
I think everyone has heard of mug cakes but If not, you are about to be pleasantly invited into a world of OMG YES!
The cake is delicious, full of chocolate flavour and moist. It’s packed with cookies, chunks of actual chocolate and topped with a MASSIVE marshmallow. It takes just a few minutes to put it together and 2 minutes in the microwave.
Your whole family will love this. Moreover, you can serve this up at a dinner party. Legit! It is so, so, so, so good, no one will care that you’ve just cooked it in the microwave or that you served their dessert up in a mug. They’ll be too busy.
O – nom -M – nom – GEEEE – nom, nom,nom!
P.S. I recommend serving it with extra-long spoons so you can get right down to the bottom and get a bit of everything in one mouthful.
P.P.S I just realised this is a fantastic gift idea as well so at the last moment before this post goes live, I’ve added this handy little free printable gift tag. Put the dry ingredients into a nice jar, then print and cut out tag. All the recipient needs to add is eggs and butter.
- 1/2 cup 65g plain (AP) flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup cocoa (I used dutch processed for the dark colour)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 115g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 Granita (digestive biscuits) - (note 1)
- 50 g milk or dark chocolate, in large chunks
- 2 jumbo marshmallows (about 30g each or equiv.)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the melted butter and eggs and mix well into a thick batter.
- Using 2 large mugs, place 1 biscuit in the bottom of each. Pour quarter of the batter over the top of each then, place 25g of chocolate in each. Break the last biscuit in half and crumble it over the chocolate. Divide the remaining batter evenly between the two mugs. Place one marshmallow on top of each and press it down into the batter.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. (note 2)
- Serve immediately.
- Granitas are an Aussie digestive biscuit. Traditionally in the US S’mores are made with Graham Crackers so if you can get hold of those, even better.
- To give the marshmallows a roasted look, I used a kitchen blowtorch. If you don’t have one, that’s ok it will still taste amazing