These Orange Pistachio Shortbread Cookies are super buttery and filled with crunchy pistachios and the fresh hit of orange.
It’s cookie baking time
We’ve officially hit the biggest cookie baking time of the year, and although these Orange Pistachio Shortbread Cookies are great for any time of year, I can’t wait to make another batch ready in time for Christmas.
I have around 3000 cookie recipes on the blog already. Ok, ok. That may be a slight exaggeration but there are lots. In fact the number of cookie recipes on Sugar Salt Magic outweighs the number of my favourite thing to bake – Cupcakes. I’ll work on levelling things out in the new year, pinky promise.
Perfect, melt in your mouth, buttery shortbread
For now though, I can’t get enough of these Orange Pistachio Shortbread Cookies. I literally have some still sitting in my freezer (for emergencies, of course). They are everything shortbread should be, and more. Crumbly and super buttery. Crispy but in a melt-in-your-mouth kinda way and completely addictive. No, my friends, one will not be enough.
The recipe is so, so simple which I love. Especially if you are making these for Christmas and time is of the essence. There are just a handful of ingredients, count ’em
- rice flour
It all goes into the stand mixer for a gentle massage and beat until you have a thick dough. The dough gets rolled out to about 1cm thick or slightly more (I was going for a nice thick cookie this time round), then use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. I went for simple squares but you could do them any shape you like. The benefit of a square cookie cutter is you don’t have to re-roll the dough quite so often.
With the help of a spatula, you transfer these delicate little (chunky) morsels onto a prepared baking tray and into the oven until – ding – 20 minutes later, you have perfectly cooked, hot Orange Pistachio Shortbread Cookies. Let them cool before eating (if you can), then brew up a nice cup of hot chocolate, find a cosy chair and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Without further ado …
Have you tried this recipe?
Rate or comment below
Orange Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- 115 g (1 stick / 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g caster (superfine) sugar
- 130 g 1 cup plain (AP) flour
- 40 g rice flour
- Zest of one orange
- 1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 170C / 340F / 150C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour and rice flour, then add to the butter and sugar in 3 lots until fully incorporated.
- Add the zest and chopped pistachios and mix until well distributed.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough with your hands until it all comes together. Roll between two sheets of baking paper to about 1cm thick. Cut out shapes (I used a square cutter approximately 4cm wide). Use a spatula to help to transfer the unbaked cookies to the baking trays and sit them at least an inch apart.
- Bake for around 18-20 minutes until just starting to turn golden on the edges.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (4 teaspoons worldwide)