This is an easy Homemade Ranch Dip recipe that you can have prepared in minutes. A handful of fresh ingredients and a few simple spices are all you need and you have the perfect party snack dip for everything from crudites to chicken wings.
This Homemade Ranch Dip is so easy to make and so perfect for dunking chicken wings in – I know from experience. You could also dunk healthier things in it too – your call.
The base of a ranch dip is mayonnaise and sour cream and it’s a dressing base I use often. I use light versions of both since this is what we keep on hand but whether you use light or regular versions is totally up to you. This base can be made to suit anything from coleslaw to Caesar salad to this Simple Potato Salad.
More recipes you’ll love
Why Make Ranch Dip From Scratch?
I love being able to make things from scratch, even those that are readily available at the store. Why? Because I can control what’s in them. I hate looking at the back of a product and not understanding what’s in it – preservative this and additive that.
When making something from scratch is this simple (and I mean 5 minutes), why would you buy pre-made?
How To Make Ranch Dip
- Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, dried herbs, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes so the dried herbs can soften a little, then serve.
This is an easy ranch dip recipe that uses dried herbs. If you want to go the extra mile, swap the dried herbs with double quantity of fresh herbs. The best herbs to use are an even ratio of of chives, parsley and dill.
How to Make Ranch Dressing
To turn this homemade ranch dip into a ranch dressing you can use over salad or potatoes, just add a little milk or buttermilk to the consistency you like.
What To Serve With Ranch Dip
- Crusty bread (like in this Spinach Cob Dip)
- Vegetable crudites
- Chicken wings (like these Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken Wings)
Homemade Ranch Dip
MAKES 2/3 CUP
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes before servng.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (=4 teaspoons worldwide)
- You can use full fat mayonnaise and sour cream if you prefer
- To turn this ranch dip into ranch dressing add buttermilk or milk until you have the desired consistency.
- You can use fresh herbs if you prefer but increase the total amount to 1 or 1.5 teaspoons. Use an equal quantity or chives, parsley and dill.
WANT MORE SAUCES AND CONDIMENTS? CLICK HERE
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.