This Homemade Ranch Dip is so easy to make and so perfect for dunking chicken wings in – I know from experience. You could also dunk healthier things in it too – your call.
The base of a ranch dip is mayonnaise and sour cream and it’s a dressing base I use often. I use light versions of both since this is what we keep on hand but whether you use light or regular versions is totally up to you. This base can be made to suit anything from coleslaw to Caesar salad to this Simple Potato Salad.
Why Make Ranch Dip From Scratch?
I love being able to make things from scratch, even those that are readily available at the store. Why? Because I can control what’s in them. I hate looking at the back of a product and not understanding what’s in it – preservative this and additive that.
When making something from scratch is this simple (and I mean 5 minutes), why would you buy pre-made?
How To Make Ranch Dip
- Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, dried herbs, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes so the dried herbs can soften a little, then serve.
This is an easy ranch dip recipe that uses dried herbs. If you want to go the extra mile, swap the dried herbs with double quantity of fresh herbs. The best herbs to use are an even ratio of of chives, parsley and dill.
How to Make Ranch Dressing
To turn this homemade ranch dip into a ranch dressing you can use over salad or potatoes, just add a little milk or buttermilk to the consistency you like.
What To Serve With Ranch Dip
More recipes you’ll love
Homemade Ranch Dip
MAKES ⅔ CUP
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs (see notes)
- 1 small clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Let the dip sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. Keep stored in the fridge
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (=4 teaspoons worldwide)
- You can use full fat mayonnaise and sour cream if you prefer
- To turn this ranch dip into ranch dressing add buttermilk or milk until you have the desired consistency.
- You can use fresh herbs if you prefer but increase the total amount to 1 or 1.5 teaspoons. Use an equal quantity or chives, parsley and dill.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.