Crispy, sweet, get-your-hands-all sticky Honey Soy Chicken Wings. Baked, not Fried.
I’m really excited to share this recipe for Crispy Honey Soy Chicken Wings with you today. Why? Because it’s chicken. Duh! I love chicken. I love chicken in pretty much any form. Oh, except those chicken feet like you get at the Chinese Dim Sum restaurants. Cannot. Do. Chicken. Feet. That was definitely worth the italics right? I mean, how much meat could there possibly be on a chickens foot anyway? Sheesh!
But seriously, I could eat chicken for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I’m sure I have done it too. Chicken is just so versatile. You can add any number of flavours. You can cook it in, like, a trillion different ways. The chicken wing is by far the best part of the whole chicken, and these Honey Soy Chicken Wings are so lip-smackingly moreish you won’t be able to stop.
We’ve eaten these for dinner about 4 times over the last couple of weeks, but I’ve got a great hubby. He just sits back and enjoys his chicken wings and not once complains that he’s having his fourth meal of chicken wings in 2 weeks. So I can testify, they are great for dinner. They’d be just as great for lunch (don’t get me started on breakfast) 🙂 These would also make a perfect appetiser. They have just the right amount of sweetness from the honey and saltiness from the soy, then some fresh ginger and garlic and you’re there. Crispy Honey Soy Chicken Wing heaven 🙂 So few ingredients too. Easy, just how I like it.
I have a couple of tricks for you too, to get those wings perfectly crispy.
- First, you need to dry them out, so take them out of the pack, chop them through the joint into sections and lay them on a plate or tray. Pat them all over with paper towel and place them in the fridge, uncovered, for a couple of hours at least. The fridge has this amazing way of drying things out, so this helps to get rid of any unnecessary moisture in the chicken wings helping to create that crispiness we’re after in the finished product.
- Secondly, oven bake the chicken wings first, with just a little oil and salt. Heat and reduce your sauce in a small saucepan. When the chicken wings are baked to perfection, baste them with your sauce and cook them for a further 5 minutes. Perfect. You’ll have no burnt sauce and be left with just beautifully tasty, crispy chicken wings.
Click here to pin to your CHICKEN board now!
Check out the recipe below. Now go forth and bake 🙂
Crispy, sweet, get-your-hands-all sticky Honey Soy Chicken Wings. Baked, NOT Fried.
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (note 1)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light soy
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (note 1)
- 1 garlic clove crushed
Chop the chicken wings at the joint. Lay the pieces on a plate and pat them dry with paper towel. Place in the fridge, uncovered, for at least a couple of hours to dry out.
Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with foil. Take the wings out of the fridge and sprinkle all over with the salt and then with the oil. Give them a good mix around to make sure they are all coated.Bake for 45 mins until the skin is crispy.
While the wings are cooking, put the ingredients for the sauce in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer & simmer for 10 mins stirring until reduced a little.
When chicken wings are cooked and crispy pour them and the sauce into a large bowl and turn to coat well.
Line the same baking tray with a new sheet of foil. Lay chicken wings out again and place back in oven for 5 mins.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon