I am without a doubt, absolutely, completely, 100% a breakfast person and while I normally gravitate towards savoury breakfasts, these Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are the perfect, cosy breakfast treat.
These pancakes are wonderful served up as part of a Breakfast Charcuterie Board.
Filled and topped with easy cinnamon apples, plus spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, all you need is a little maple syrup to complete this comforting brekky. Of course, I like to add some whipped maple butter and crunchy maple granola because more is always more.
The ingredients list
This pancake recipe is a wonderful celebration of apples and cinnamon but there’s more than that going on
- Flour – plain (all-purpose) and wholemeal (whole wheat) are combined in these.
- Baking powder
- Sugar – white in the pancakes and brown in the cinnamon apples
- Spices – Cinnamon and nutmeg give these all the cosy feels
- Vanilla extract
How to make apple pancakes – step by step
Making apple cinnamon pancakes is very simple and straightforward.
- Start with the cinnamon apples – (you can see a whole post on them here). Just cook sliced apples with butter, sugar and cinnamon until soft and delicious.
- The dry mixture: Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- The wet ingredients: Add the wet ingredients, including some of the chopped cinnamon apples to the bowl and give it all a good mix.
- Rest: Let the pancake batter rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook: 2-3 in a frying pan / skillet or griddle with a dash of oil until browned on one side and bubbles start appearing, then carefully turn them over. Let the other side get golden.
Tips and tricks for perfect apple pancakes
- Don’t overmix the batter or you may end up with rubbery pancakes.
- Let the pancake batter rest: This starts the baking powder working.
- Use oil or butter to grease the pan before adding your batter.
- The best apples are your favourite apples. They’ll all work. Granny Smiths are my favourite for a little tartness. Gala, honeycrisp, pink lady are all a little sweeter.
- Measure out your batter using a 1/4 cup measure.
How to serve them
Keep the pancakes warm and covered on a plate, then serve them all up at once. I love serving these up with more cinnamon apples on top, a sprinkling of maple granola for crunch, and my whipped maple butter which is seriously divine. Then, obligatory lashings of maple syrup.
How to store them
These pancakes are best eaten fresh but you can certainly keep leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat them in a pan or the microwave. You can also store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
I can’t hold back when there’s a stack of these perfect fluffy pancakes ready to devour. Warm, cosy, lightly spiced, soft they’re perfect for a cosy breakfast or brunch.
Breakfast = the most important meal of the day – because it’s the first one, of course!
If you try this apple cinnamon pancakes recipe, please take a moment to leave a rating and comment below. I love hearing from you and it helps other readers too! You can also take a photo and tag @sugarsaltmagic on Instagram.
More sweet breakfast recipes
- English Pancakes with Lemon & Sugar
- Double Chocolate Pancakes
- Easy Fluffy Pancakes From Scratch
- Whipped Maple Butter
- Homemade Maple Granola
- Sautéed Cinnamon Apples
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes and my All About Chocolate ebook!
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- 2 apples
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (notes)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (notes)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Pancake Dry ingredients
- 1 cup plain (all-purp) flour (130g / 4.5oz)
- ½ cups plain wholemeal / whole wheat flour (65g / 2.3oz)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pancake Wet ingredients
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick / 57g)
- 1 ⅓ cups milk (330ml)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
THE CINNAMON APPLES
- Peel, quarter and core the apples. Slice each quarter into 5 or 6 slices.
- Mix butter and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Add the cinnamon and apples and cook until the apples are soft and the liquid has reduced to about 1/3, stirring every so often.
THE APPLE CINNAMON PANCAKES
- Sift together dry ingredients then whisk to mix thoroughly. (At this point you can put your dry ingredients into a large plastic bottle with a decent sized opening and store for when you are ready to make pancakes).
- Add wet ingredients. Roughly chop 1/2 of the cooked apples and add those too. Stir until incorporated. Small lumps in the mix are ok. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat a light sprinkling of oil in a pan over medium heat. Allow it to heat for about 5 minutes before putting in first pancake.
- Use 1/4 cups of mixture and pour into pan – the size of your pan will dictate how many you can cook at once but I normally fit 2 into my pan at one time. When bubbles start to appear on top, carefully flip the pancakes. Cook other side until just golden.
- Keep warm on a baking tray in a warm oven while cooking the rest.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.