Chocolate Caramel Brownies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Cooling time: 2 hours
Total Time: 37 minutes
Servings: 12 brownies
Rich and gooey Chocolate Caramel Brownies are the perfect indulgent dessert. With everyday ingredients you probably already have on hand, you can have a batch in the oven in less than 20 minutes.
- 190 g store-bought soft caramels (Werthers work best)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (6 tsp) thickened (heavy) cream (notes)
- 85 g (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 75 g dark (70%) chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 98 g (3/4 cup) plain (all-purp) flour
- 33 g (1/3 cup) dutch processed cocoa (notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Grease and line an 8x8 inch square baking tin with baking paper.
Over low heat and stirring constantly, melt together the caramels and cream in a saucepan until smooth. Set aside
Place the butter and chocolate in a heat proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each until melted and smooth. Set aside.
Place both sugars and the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk with a handheld mixer for around 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy (or in a stand mixer with paddle attachment for 3-5 minutes)
Add the melted chocolate and butter and stir through with a spatula.
Sift over the plain flour, cocoa and salt and stir through with a spatula until just combined.
Pour half the mixture into the prepared tin and make a few dents with a spoon (where the caramel can pool).
Drizzle the caramel all over letting it pool in the dents (if it's no longer runny, heat it very slightly until it is).
Drop spoonfuls of the remaining half of the brownie mixture all over (it's hard to spread so dropping it randomly is easiethen just lightly spread to cover the caramel.
Bake for around 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with some sticky crumbs on it (see notes).
Serving: These brownies are best served 5-10 minutes after taking out the of the fridge.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge
Freezing: Freeze the brownies on a baking tray until solid, then wrap individually in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- I use a standard Australian tablespoon (= 4 teaspoons worldwide)
Cream in this recipe is for 6 teaspoons
- You can use regular unsweetened cocoa if you can't get dutch processed.
- Brownies are done when a toothpick comes out with a few sticky crumbs on it. They will carry-over bake in the tin.
- Toothpick comes out with wet mix - not done
- Toothpick comes out with sticky crumbs - DONE
- Toothpick comes out with no mix or crumbs - overdone (save these for serving with ice cream - yum)
WANT MORE BROWNIES AND BARS RECIPES? CLICK HERE