Easy Cherry Cake with Crumble Topping
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 12 serves
This Easy Cherry Cake with Crumble Topping is a delightful afternoon tea cake topped with cherry jam and a crunch streusel topping.
For the Cherry Cake
- 130 g (1 cup / 4.6oz) plain (AP) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 113 g (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g (1/2 cup / 3.5oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon milk (notes)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1/2 cup black cherry jam (or any good quality jam)
For the Crumble topping
- 1/3 cup plain (AP) flour
- ½ cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar (notes)
- 57 g (1/2 stick / 1/4 cup) chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Cream, ice cream or custard to serve
Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Grease and line an 8 or 9 inch spring form cake tin.
For the crumble place all ingredients except for the egg yolk into a bowl and use your fingertips to rub it together until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add the yolk and mix through with a fork. Refrigerate until required.
Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until well combined. Add the flour, lemon zest and milk and mix until just combined. Make sure not to overmix.
Tip the batter into your prepared baking tin then spread to the edges and level out the top a little.
Dollop over the cherry jam, then scatter the crumble topping over the top of that.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lovely with a dollop of cream or icecream or, my favourite, served warm with some custard. Yum!
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (4 teaspoons worldwide)
- For best results, you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- A handheld beater or stand mixer
- An8 inch springform tin or 8 inch cake tin
WANT MORE CAKE RECIPES? CLICK HERE
OR MORE CHERRY RECIPES? CLICK HERE