Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 8 serves
Tangy, sweet and perfect with a cup of coffee, this Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake will become your go to afternoon tea cake. Filled with tart chunks of fresh rhubarb and topped with an almond streusel.
- 300 g fresh rhubarb, cut in 2cm pieces (approx 2 cups)
- 195 g (1 1/2 cups) plain (all-purp) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 113 g (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/3 cup light sour cream, room temp
- 2 tablespoons demerara (turbinado) sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350Grease and line an 8 inch spring form cake tin.
Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and lemon zest and mix through. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each.
Add half the flour mix and fold through. Fold through the sour cream and then finally the remaining flour mixture until just combined. Make sure not to overmix.
Fold through the rhubarb.
Tip the batter into your prepared baking tin then spread to the edges and level out the top a little.
Combine the demerara sugar, almonds and cinnamon and scatter over the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lovely with a dollop of cream or ice cream or, my favourite, served warm with some custard. Yum!
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon (= 4 teaspoons worldwide)
- For best results, you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop).
WANT MORE CAKE RECIPES? CLICK HERE