Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff is easy , comforting and incredibly flavourful. Filled with mushrooms and tender fall-apart beef in a rich creamy sauce, this easy stroganoff recipe, made in the slow cooker, is the perfect winter warmer.
(photos updated Aug 24, 2017)
This Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff is a favourite in our house. A genuinely regular meal we have, most often on the weekends so that it cooks while we go about our day.
Like many others, I love the comforting flavours and fall apart meat that slow cooked meals provide and if ever there was a dish perfect to be turned into a slow cooker / crock pot recipe, this is it. Beef stroganoff is rich, creamy, flavourful, comforting and totally delicious.
Even our dog, Millie, can’t deny that gorgeous smell wafting around the house.
There you’ve had a wonderful time enjoying your day (until you had to let the dog down gently) while your slow cooker is off doing all the hard work and at the end of your wonderful day, you just get to dish it up and devour it. Plus, June in Australia calls for a good slow cooker meal – all comforting and warm.
My hubby loves Beef Stroganoff. He grew up with it from a little tacker, so when I first made it, I was concerned it wasn’t going to live up to his mums Beef Stroganoff recipe and it would all just be a terrible failure. How could I possibly compete with mums home cooking. Well of course you can’t, but it wasn’t a failure. The lucky thing is that mine and my mum-in-laws recipes are very different anyway so, while it may not be the Beef Stroganoff recipe he grew up with and loves, he did really enjoy it.
Enter the slow cooker. It seemed like the perfect upgrade to an already yummy meal and – Holy cow, batman! – It was awesome. We had it 2 weeks in a row after that.
I think one of my favourite parts of this recipe is the mushrooms that are cooked in butter and then piled into the ‘Strog (as we affectionately call it) right at the end with the sour cream.
I generally serve Stroganoff with pasta but the hubby grew up with rice. Each to their own but I can tell you that, reheated the next day with a good bit of crusty, toasty bread was brilliant as well.
No go forth and …. stick some stuff in the slow cooker and get out and enjoy the day 🙂
Weeknight Meatball Stroganoff
Crispy Asian Chilli Beef Mince
Meatball Pasta Bake
Beef Shish Kebabs with Mojo Verde
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe
- 2 tablespoon butter (notes)
- 400 g sliced swiss brown mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon oil (notes)
- 1 kg beef blade steak, sliced into 1cm thick strips
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon mild paprika (notes)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce (notes)
- 1 cup light sour cream *
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Salt to taste
- Dill & parsley to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, mustard powder and paprika. Toss the beef strips in the flour mix to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry half of the beef strips turning constantly until sealed and lightly browned. Repeat with the remaining beef strips.
- To your slow cooker, first add the onion and garlic then add the seared beef strips on top. Now add the beef stock and the soy sauce. Cook on low for 6.5 hours.
- In the same frypan melt the butter and add all the mushrooms. Fry on medium for 5-7 minutes until cooked and lightly browned. Store in the fridge until required.
- At the last half hour mark, add the mushrooms, sour cream and cracked pepper and give the mixture a good stir. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the Beef Stroganoff over pasta or rice topped with small sprigs of dill and parsley.
- I use light sour cream, but feel free to use full fat.
- I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.