There’s a lot of awesomeness crammed into these little Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars. Sweetened mostly with honey, and loaded with nuts and seeds there almost healthy – almost! Most importantly though, they’re delicious.
Whether you want a quick breakfast on the run or a delicious afternoon snack, these babies fit the bill. I created this trail mix bars recipe after a request from my father-in-law and now I can’t stop making them.
With no oatmeal in sight, these bars are all about crunchy chunky nuts but the peanut butter and honey keep them chewy. A very satisfying combination.
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars
I’m happy to say this is an easy recipe to make and doesn’t have an overwhelming list of ingredients.
- Honey and a little brown sugar: These make up all the sweetness you need in these bars.
- Peanuts and pepitas: This is the crunch and you can swap them out for others too – say cashews and sunflower seeds.
- Peanut butter: Hence the name. These bars are all about the peanut butter.
- Rice bubbles / rice krispies: This is the crispy crunch and helps to lighten the bars up a little.
- Coconut oil: Just a little helps to bind everything.
- Chocolate: I’ve used milk chocolate here (per request) however a dark (50-70%) chocolate would be great.
Trail mix bar add-ins
You could turn these trail mix bars into choose your own adventure treat.
- Nuts: As I mentioned above, you could swap the peanuts for any nuts you prefer or a mixture. Cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios. Choose your favourite.
- Seeds: You could swap the pepitas (the centre of a pumpkin seed) for sunflower seeds and even add some sesame seeds if you like.
- Peanut butter: Swap it for almond or cashew butter.
- Fruit: Small chunks of dried fruit would be great in these. Try dried cranberries, goji berries, sultanas or raisins. You could even chop up dried apricots.
- Other: Try some nice big flakes of coconut or be extra by adding some chocolate chips.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes and my All About Chocolate ebook!
Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars
- ½ cup honey (125ml)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (note 1)
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar (note 1)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups unsalted peanuts (note 3)
- 1 cup rice bubbles / rice krispies
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 125 g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F (160C fan forced). Line an 8×8 inch slice tin with baking paper (note 2).
- Put the honey, coconut oil and brown sugar into a saucepan and heat over low heat until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter to the bowl of a mixer then pour the honey mixture in and beat until completely mixed through.
- In a large bowl, mix the peanuts, rice bubbles and pumpkins seeds, then pour the honey mixture over the top. Stir until everything is fully coated. Pour into lined tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely, before melting the milk chocolate (30 second bursts in the microwave, mixing well between each). Tip the peanut bar out of the tin and cut into 8 (or more) pieces. Dip the bottom of each piece into the chocolate and then sit them back on some baking paper on a baking tray. Drizzle any remaining chocolate over the tops. Place in the fridge until set.
- Best served straight from the fridge.
- I use a standard Australian 20ml tablespoon
- An easy way to line the tin so that you can get it right into the corners is to lay the baking paper over the bottom of the pan (upside down), then lay a sheet of aluminium foil over that. Shape it to the tin, then flip the tin right side up and slip the shaped sheets straight into the tin.
- You could use any combination of nuts or seeds that you like.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.