A creamy, snickers flavoured dessert dip
I’m just gonna put this out there – I’m really sorry but MWUHAHAHAHA 🙂
It’s a dip but not like you know it. Sweet and perfect for dipping your favourite cookies or biscuits into.
I’ve been practising macarons lately (keep your eye out for that post) and had some macaron shells that hadn’t turned out perfect (although they still tasted beautiful). I didn’t want to waste them so thought, ok, how can I use these up? You could almost hear the cogs working. So, I could just fill them and eat them. But that would mean getting out a piping bag and after all that macaron making and then having them not turn out perfect, I wanted something a little simpler. Maybe instead of filling them we could just dunk them in the filling instead. I figured a bowl of buttercream in the middle of the table just wouldn’t do so it finally evolved into a dip – Snickers Dip to be exact. I was so excited. I bought all my ingredients, including fun size snickers (I might have eaten one….), got them all home and set to work.
I took the finished article to our Tuesday night family dinner and, while I can’t put the first response I received in writing, it was a positive one. It went down a treat. All creamy and peanut-buttery and gooey caramel and chocolate ganache. Sounds terrible right? 🙂 It’s pure evil in the yummiest way. Super quick to make, you can have this on the table in 10 minutes.
By the way, I used light versions of both the cream cheese and the peanut butter and didn’t miss a thing. That means I can have a couple extra, right?
And it was fun too. Interactive. It was funny watching everyone trying to scoop up the chunks of snickers onto the macarons. The dip to macaron ratio was pretty heavily weighted on the dip side. Macaron shells probably aren’t the best dipping biscuit because they were already quite sweet and they broke a little easily while trying to scoop (hence the photos showing a digestive instead) but we just improvised with a spread knife and laughed at each others attempts to get a bit of everything in one scoop.
It’d be great for a kids party but lots of fun for grown-ups too and so yum.
Now, go forth and mix and devour. Num, num, num 🙂
- 250g light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp light smooth peanut butter**
- 3 Tbsp cream**
- 30g dark chocolate
- 4 Tbsp caramel sauce (store-bought is fine)
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 5 fun size snickers, cut into 8 pieces each
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl in the microwave in 30 second spurts, stirring after each 30 seconds. Once melted (this should not take more than 90 seconds for room temp chocolate), mix in 1 tablespoon of the cream to make a ganache and allow it to cool, stirring every now and then so that it doesn't dry out on top.
- Put the cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer and sift over the icing sugar. Beat on high until fluffy. Add the peanut butter and the final 2 tablespoons of cream and mix for another minute or two until nice and creamy. Mix in half of the snickers pieces.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture in a serving dish. Cover with half of the caramel sauce and half of the chocolate ganache. Now do a second layer of cream cheese, followed by ganache and caramel. Sprinkle over the chopped peanuts and remaining pieces of snickers.
- Devour straight away with your favourite biscuits or if serving it later, keep it in the fridge but take it out of the fridge at least 1/2 an hour before you want to serve so the ganache and caramel soften up.
- ** I use an Australian standard tablespoon